April 15, 2012

Loco for Coco...


I love coconut, always have.  I love the smell of it just as much as the taste.  So much so that in the middle of winter when sunny days at the beach seem unfathomable, I open my bottle of sunscreen & put just a dab on my skin so I can breathe in the smell of coconut.  Before you judge, I know for a FACT that I am not the only one that does this...

The only thing that I don't love about coconut is trying to get it open & get to the good stuff, but luckily for me I am not a cast member on a survival show, so I needn't worry about all that...

To demonstrate my slightly obsessive love for this tropical treat,  a moment of full disclosure:
For breakfast I had coconut coffee and a piece of this coconut bread. 
Those you of that know me, know that I'm not very "gray"...  I either really like something or I really don't,  and I really like coconut.

A few weeks ago, I was in the mood for coconut bread so I started looking for recipes and found one in an old issue of Gourmet magazine that I decided to use as my jumping off point.  It was delicious as is, but I felt it could be slightly coconut-ier, so I tweaked it to add in extra coconut flavor and this is what I came up with...

Coconut Bread
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/8 cup coconut oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup toasted coconut
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Coconut oil

 1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees
 2. Warm coconut oil in a small saucepan, just until it melts and set aside.  (when buying, make sure to buy medium heat, organic, unrefined)
 3. Cream butter and sugar together.  Add eggs and cooled coconut oil.  Mix well to combine, then add in yogurt and sour cream.


4. Stir in toasted coconut.
5. Combine flours, baking soda & baking powder, and fold into the wet ingredients.
6. Tip batter into a loaf pan that has been lightly greased and bake for 45 - 60 minutes.
  *if bread is starting to brown too much before it has baked through, turn oven down to 325 degrees for the last 15 minutes.
Coconut Bread



No comments:

Post a Comment