April 02, 2012

Let's Do Brunch


Brunch.  This word can illicit sheer dread if you work in a restaurant. 
It is by far the least favorite service to work.  For the average person who has no idea of what it entails to work a brunch service, it conjures up an image of a leisurely, relaxing meal with a few bloody marys.

Meanwhile... behind the scenes, bleary-eyed line cooks are getting food out of the kitchen as fast as their exhausted bodies will let them.

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss it once in awhile,  but I'll also tell you I don't miss it enough to do it again.  
I would much rather be the one eating brunch instead of the one making it at this point in life.

That being said, I very much enjoy making brunch at home.  It happens so infrequently that it is almost like a treat.  Yes, I did just say making brunch is a treat...  Some of you are questioning whether or not I've already had a few bloody marys I'm sure.

The thing about doing brunch at home is that it IS relaxing and slower paced than trying to get food on the table for dinner after a long day at work.  The whole feel of Sunday morning just inherently has a different vibe to it.  

Granted, it isn't exactly like it is in the movies: reading the newspaper and trading sections with your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend, sipping coffee on the balcony overlooking Central Park, but a lovely, relaxing brunch can still be had by all even if we don't own million dollar apartments.

When I make these, I have started to make a double batch to put some away for dinner later in the week for those days when I long for that lazy Sunday morning. 

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup almond flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • Black & Blue jam

1. In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients:  Flours, sugar, salt, baking powder.

2. Zest the lemons & add the dry ingredients.

3. Stir to combine and coat the lemon zest with the flour.
4. In a small bowl, beat the eggs and add milk and vanilla.  Whisk to combine.
5. Fold in the ricotta cheese.
6. Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk to thoroughly combine.
7. Heat pan over medium heat and pour batter in using a 1/4 cup measure.
8. Cook pancakes until they begin to dry on top before flipping.
9. Warm the jam in a small saucepan & thin with a few tablespoons of water.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Black & Blue Jam


No comments:

Post a Comment