December 18, 2012

Banana Pancakes


This is the story of two sad bananas.  They were gorgeous when I brought them home.  Then they sat there as they watched the other bananas in their bunch get picked, only to be left behind.  Their skin went from bright, sunny yellow to brown and spotty.

Once bananas pass a certain stage in their ripeness, I won't eat them.  It's a texture thing, I don't like mushy food and these were about as "mushad" as one could possibly get. 

Normally I would freeze them for smoothies or wait until I had one or two more for banana bread.
But,  I felt the need to rescue them and do something with them other than relegating them to the dark, frozen tundra that is my freezer.

Pancakes are not usually what I crave for breakfast.  Generally I find them to be too filling, but these are not.  After eating more than my fair share I am happy to report that I did not have that "blegh" feeling after eating.  You know that feeling...  Rewind back to Thanksgiving.  Yeah, that one.

As usual when I am looking for a recipe I know I have, I can't find it.  Luckily I found a good jumping off point on allrecipes and then tweaked it to suit my tastes.

mashing bananas!
 
 
Banana Pancakes
 
1 cup AP flour
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup whole milk
2 tbsp melted butter, cooled
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
 
 
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.  Whisk to combine.
 
In a medium bowl combine egg, milk, butter, vanilla and bananas.
 
Add dry ingredients to wet, mix until just combined and all flour is incorporated.
Batter will be lumpy, do not overmix. 
 
Ladle about a 1/3 cup batter into pan on medium heat and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side.

3 comments: