July 01, 2012

On the Go...




It's finally summer and you know what that means...  picnics, barbecues and long days at the beach.
This pasta salad is perfect for taking on the go.  It is light, yet substantial and dressed in a light vinaigrette, so no worries over gloppy mayo sitting out in the sun.

I love this particular pasta salad because of all the veggies in it and you can even add more...  broccoli, julienned zucchini, summer squash, cauliflower, red bell pepper, summer beans, etc. would all be great in this salad.  The beauty of summer is that so much fresh, gorgeous produce is available! 

One of my goals in summer is to avoid turning on the stove most days...  The black tar roof of the building I live in is my ceiling, need I explain further how I have come to understand what a roast chicken must feel like in the oven?!

Another goal, I'll be honest is to make enough for left-overs.  I made a big bowl of pasta salad that will feed me for a few days.   I can have it for lunch the next day and maybe as a side for dinner the day after that... or with the 4th of July celebrations right around the corner I will pack it up and take it with me to a barbecue to enjoy with friends.


Mediterranean Pasta Salad
  • 1/2 lb orzo (tri-color if you can find it)
  • 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
  • 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/3 cup marinated, quartered artichoke hearts
  • 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, cut into quarters
  • 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup cucumber, quartered & thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup pitted, oil-cured black olives
  • 1/3 cup feta, crumbled (or ricotta salata if you don't like feta)
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest, grated
  • 1 tbsp capers
  • 2 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
  • 1/4 bunch parsley, finely chopped
  • kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper


Cook orzo according to package instructions.   Toss orzo with olive oil to coat pasta.
Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.  Season with salt & pepper.
Eat!



    No comments:

    Post a Comment